Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Little Background

In a few short days I will be cramped in a car with three other people who love Jesus headed to North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to spread the Good News and grow in my faith. Sand, surf, and sun all summer long surrounded by people whose eyes are set on Christ and want nothing more than to follow His will.

I am nothing short of excited, but a farm girl from Iowa can't help but be nervous for the adventures that lie ahead with God and His glorious plan.

I never thought I would ever do something as crazy as traveling 1,453 miles from a quiet Midwest town of about 3,000 to one of the largest tourist destinations in the United States to share Jesus with people whose purpose in life is to get tan and have fun all summer long. It's amazing how God doesn't care about your life plans no matter how awesome they may sound to you.

My journey toward North Myrtle started last year when I got plugged into Cru at South Dakota State University my freshman year. I met a lovely woman who was my Bible study leader and asked to be my discipler (mentor). Towards the end of the year she kept insisting that I go on a Summer Project that was promoted like crazy at weekly Cru meetings.

It wasn't until this past school year that God started pulling at my heart and was pushing me to go to North Myrtle on a Summer Project. I finally agreed to His call and began to gather names and send out letters to raise support. I couldn't believe that I raised all of my support in one month; over $3,000!

So here I am, waiting patiently to follow God's call and evangelize to people who need Jesus desperately in their lives.

But what is Summer Project? What will I be doing? A few questions I have been asked over the spring semester as I was sending out letters and raising support.

What is Summer Project?
The Summer Project website (gosummerproject.com) defines a Summer Project as: "Over the course of the summer, you’ll be trained in communicating your faith with non-believers and believers alike. Along the way you’ll gain practical skills to help you apply Jesus’ teachings to your own life and pass them on to others. The hope is that you will become an effective Christ-centered leader both on your campus and in whatever field God calls you to after college." Specifically, I am attending a 10 week stateside project where my job is my ministry focus. Through having a job, I will be serving my co-workers and the community as well. A great way to show the community what being a Christ follower is about: service! As well as serving the community, I will be exploring Scripture through weekly project gatherings and small group Bible Studies and have a discipler just like I did at State who will help lead me through my personal relationship with Jesus.

I can't possibly define everything about Summer Project , so for the next 10 weeks I hope you will be following me on this blog to gain a better sense of what this amazing opportunity entails!

For those who have supported me in any way during these past few months, thank you! Your support is appreciated so much, and I am so thankful God has put you in my life as I dive head first into this adventure. I ask that you continue to pray for me, and you can see what specific things I will need prayers for on my "Prayer Requests" page.

Thank you all for supporting me, and may Christ bless your summers!

Love,
Trish

 P.S. The Summer Project website at gosummerproject.com is a great resource for anymore questions you may have!


 “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.” –Proverbs 16:3



No comments:

Post a Comment