Thursday, August 9, 2012

In Awe of God

Impact Group
This summer has been one of the most challenging summers of my life, yet I am so thankful I listened to God's call for me that I had been putting off for a year. I never thought I'd be attending a two month journey that required faith, patience, and total dependance on God had you asked me less than a year ago.

Immediately, God showed me that I needed Him in every area of my life, regardless of how small as soon as I entered project. Of course, by my stubborn nature, I thought I could coast through this summer on my own strength and call upon God only when I really needed Him. I would go through my day faced with the challenge of meeting people, finding a job, being away from home, and many other little things that piled up and seemed as though they were bigger problems than they actually were because I wasn't allowing God to be a part of my life even through the small stuff. I refused to tell the students around me the stress I was feeling because I wanted them to think I had it all together.

Bible Study :)
God continued to allow me to reach points of desperation that directed me right back to Him in order that I may realize my complete need for Him. As I prayed for a changed heart throughout the summer, He answered my prayer through my daily quiet times in the book of Joshua, weekly meetings, new found friends in my Bible study, roommate, and other women around me to show me His awesome and wondrous character. Even through my job at a casual dining restaurant, Salsarita's, I learned new found patience, understanding, and compassion for those who didn't know Jesus, which led me back to Him all over again. Thankfully, I encountered many difficult customers everyday at Salsarita's that forced me to rely on the Holy Spirit that I may keep my cool and respond to their demands with a cheerful attitude and heart.

Easily the greatest thing I learned this summer involved the concept of brokenness. A complete surrender of self and acknowledgement of my need for God because I am a sinner and can do nothing without Him. As my faith began to stretch and grow, I felt the Holy Spirit move in my heart in order that my pride may be eliminated to make room for truth in God's Word and truths revealed to me in everyday situations. Countless times I faced disappointment in that I didn't feel substantial growth happening as I saw everyone around me full of Jesus' love and forgiveness, but God showed me that growth is not measured by outward appearance but by a change of heart.

Best friends!
I have never felt more in awe of God in my entire life thanks to Summer Project in North Myrtle Beach. Had I not gone on Summer Project, I would not have discovered my need for God and the importance of depending on Him because without Him, life is impossible. I have found a new sense of peace, forgiveness, importance of service, and desire to follow God's will because I trusted that God could use me this summer. Even though I may not have grown as much as others on project or in ways I expected, I am satisfied with my God and know that growing and learning takes a lifetime. As long I as am depending on Him and put aside my selfish ambitions, God's will will be revealed and He can still use a sinner like me for His great commission.

Thank you to all of those who prayed for and supported me this summer. It has been an amazing journey and if you want to ask anymore specific questions about my summer, feel free to contact me! My email is trish_2950@hotmail.com. If you'd like my cellphone number, email me :) Without your willingness to give, this would not have been possible! Thank you!



Trish

"When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, 'Who then can be saved?' Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'" Matthew 19:25-26

No comments:

Post a Comment